Dr Li got his PhD in Cultural Studies from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He received his Master’s degree in Social Science from the Cultural Studies in Asia programme (Department of Sociology) at the National University of Singapore. He was a recipient of Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (2017-2019) and Global Humanities Junior Fellowship at Freie Universitaet Berlin (2018).
A practitioner of interdisciplinary socio-cultural studies, he has published in different journals, such as HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory, global-e, Critical Asia Archives: Events and Theories, Modern China Studies, Hong Kong Journal of Social Sciences, and Hong Kong Studies. He is also active in knowledge transfer. Besides writing for newspapers and magazines (e.g. Mingpao, City Magazine, Initium Media, Sample, Artslink, etc.), he has translated two academic books from English to Chinese.
- Cultural studies and cultural theories
- Public affect, emotion, and memory
- Critical heritage studies
- Urban spaces and placemaking
- Communual creativity (social practice arts)
- History of media culture
- Social Economy
- Colonialism, Cold War, and decoloniality
- Hong Kong, Macau, Mainland China, Taiwan, Southeast Asia, and beyond
- ASI4101 Special Topics in Asian Studies: Sinophone Cultures in Southeast Asia
- ASI3005 Appreciating Asian Art, Heritage and Museum
- GEN1000 Perspectives on General Education
- GEN1017 Introduction to Cultural Studies
- 2022 – 2024. Principal Investigator. Cultural Exchanges in the Cold War: Visiting Tours and Affective Connections in Sinophone Asia (1950s-1980s). Faculty Development Scheme, Research Grants Council, Hong Kong (UGC/FDS14/H08/21). Award: HK$917,455.
- 2022 – 2024. Team member. From Retro to the Metaverse Games: Imagining Asia and Creative Industries from the Past, the Present, to the Future. Strategic Development Grant. The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong. Award: HK$197,000.
- 2021. University Research Start-Up Fund. The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong.
- 2018. Global Humanities Junior Fellowship. Principles of Cultural Dynamics, The Free University of Berlin.
- 2017 – 2019. Hong Kong PhD Fellowship. Research Grants Council, Hong Kong (PF15-12326). Award: HK$720,000.
- 2010 – 2014. Research Fellowship. National University of Singapore.
Selected Journal Articles
- Li, C. K. (2023). Curatorial Introduction: Locations of Hope. Critical Asia Archives: Events and Theories.
- Li, C. K. (2021). Disaffection in a Special Affective Region. Critical Asia Archives: Events and Theories.
- Li, C. K. (2021). Raw Fear in Hong Kong. HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory, 11(3), 1045-1059. [SSCI]
- Li, C. K. (2019). A Hong Kong Intellectual and his Mass Publication During the Cultural Revolutionization: Quotations from Man Yan Kit in the 1967 Riot. Hong Kong Studies, (2)1, 25-35.
- Li, C. K. (2019). Freedom as Articulation: Reflections on Liberalism in Hong Kong. global-e, 11(23).
- Li, C. K. (2019). A Society with Wronged-Souls: Hong Kong as China’s Heterotopia. Hong Kong Journal of Social Sciences, 52, 5-18.
- Shen, X. H. & Li, C. K. (2015). The Cultural Side-Effects of the Sino-Soviet Split: The Influence of Albanian Movies in China in the 1960s. Modern China Studies, 22(1), 215-231.
Selected Book Chapters
- LI, C. K. (2021). Asia’s Refugee City: Hong Kong in the Cold War. In M. Popescu, Zien, K, & K. Bystrom (Eds.), The Cultural Cold War and the Global South: Sites of Contest and Communitas, pp. 238-251. New York: Routledge.
- LI, C. K. (2021). Medium and Articulation: Teaching Humanities Classics with Cultural Studies. In C. H. Leung, P. H. Lau & C. H. Li (Eds.), Humanities Classics and Liberal Education, pp. 25-41. Hong Kong: The Chinese University of Hong Kong Press.
- Li, C. K. (2016). China’s Spring Festival Television Gala. In J. Murray, & K. Nadeau (Eds.), Pop Culture in Asia and Oceania, pp. 201-203. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO/Greenwood Press.Li, C. K.
- Li, C. K. (2013). The “Port Aspects” of Local Consciousness: So Sau Chong. In C. K. Chan, & W. L. Wong (Eds.), Local Discourse, pp. 125-136. Taipei: AzothBooks.
- Li, C. K. (2009). Colonial Spatial Politics in Hong Kong: A Study of Victoria Park. In K. W. Ma (Ed.), Exploring China Urban Studies, pp. 55-79. Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies.
- The Appearing Demos: Hong Kong During and After the Umbrella Movement. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. By Laikwan Pang (2020). Translated by Li C. K. (Typsetter Press, 2020).
- The Art of Cloning: Creative Production During China’s Cultural Revolution. London: Verso. By Laikwan Pang (2017). Translated by Li C. K. (The Chinese University of Hong Kong Press, 2017).
- LI, C. K., Dixon WU (2023). Preserving Video Game: Fandom and Heritigization [Speaker] Hong Kong Seminar Series, Richard Charles Lee Canada-Hong Kong Library 利銘澤典宬, University of Toronto.
- LI, C. K., Pui-sze CHEUNG, Christine CHOY, Kin-long TONG (2023). Video Game as Cultural Heritage: Exhibition, Education, and Research [Speaker] Conceptual Practice: Research and Pedagogy in Art, Design, Creative Industries, and Cultural Heritage International Conference, Hang Seng University of Hong Kong.
- LI, C. K. (2023). Cold War, Warm Tours: China’s Homeland Tourism and the Making of Hospitable Socialism. [Speaker] Social Science Research Seminar, Hang Seng University of Hong Kong.
- LI, C. K. (2022). Cultural Theories in Cultural Studies. [Speaker] Postgraduate Seminar at International Studies, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto.
- LI, C. K. (2022). Small Stores as Method. [Speaker] Symposium on Doing Cultural Studies in Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- LI, C. K. (2022). Cold War as Porous: Mapping the Tourscape of Sinophone Asia. [Speaker] Department of Cultural Studies, Lingnan University, Hong Kong.
- LI, C. K. (2022). Making a Tricontinental Liberalism: Hong Kong’s Student U Presses. [Speaker] Paper presented at Remembering a Tricontinental Past, King’s College London (Online Symposium).
- LI, C. K. (2019). Man Yan-kit in 1967 Riot. [Speaker] Paper presented at the Association for Cultural Typhoon Conference, Keio University, Tokyo.
- LI, C. K. (2018). Causality in Culture: Empirically Verifiable or Modelling Category? Principle of Cultural Dynamics. Paper presented at the Free University of Berlin, Berlin.
- LI, C. K. (2017). Conflict and Justice: Precarious Bodies in Inter-Asia Societies. Paper presented at the International Institute for Cultural Studies, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu.
- LI, C. K. (2012). The Asian Edge: 2012 Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society (IACS) Summer School. Center for the Study of Culture and Society, Bangalore.
- LI, C. K. (2011). Teresa Teng as an Ideal Female in Post Mao China. Paper presented at the Symposium: Techno-Soundings: Acoustic Methodologies of the Ear, Music Department, the University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- LI, C. K. (2010). Victoria Park: Politics of Public Space in Colonial Hong Kong. [Speaker] Paper presented at the Crossroads for Cultural Studies Conference, Lingnan University, Hong Kong.