Dr Gary TANG
Dr Gary Tang obtained PhD of communication at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. His research interests include political communication, social media, social movement and youth studies. He is also Honorary Research Associate at Centre for Youth Studies, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, and Deputy Convenor (New Media Research) at Hong Kong Institute for Politics and Governance.
Political Communication; Social Media; Social Movement; Public Opinion; Financialization; Youth Studies
Selected Journal Articles
- Tang, G. and Lee, F. L. F. (2018), “Candidate’s Facebook Fan Page, Electoral Momentum and Vote Shares: Evidence from Hong Kong Legislative Council Election 2016.” Asian Journal of Communication. DOI: doi.org/10.1080/01292986.2018.1476564 (SSCI)
- Tang, G. (2017), “Media Populism in Post-handover Hong Kong: An Investigation of Media Framing of Public Finance.” Chinese Journal of Communication 10(4): 433-449. (SSCI)
- Tang, G. and Yuen, R. H. Y. (2016), “Hong Kong as the ‘Neoliberal Exception’ of China: Transformation of Hong Kong Citizenship before and after the Transfer of Sovereignty.” Journal of Chinese Political Science 21(4): 469-484.
- Tang, G. (2015), “Mobilization by Images: TV Screen and Mediated Instant Grievances in the Umbrella Movement.” Chinese Journal of Communication 8(1): 1-18. (SSCI)
- Tang, G., Cheng, X. and So, C. Y. K. (2014), “Newspapermen, News Industry and Hong Kong Social Changes: Case Studies of Ming Pao, Hong Kong Economic Journal and Apple Daily.” (報人、報業與香港社會變遷：《明報》、《信報》和《蘋果日報》的個案探討) Chinese Journal of Journalism and Communication (國際新聞界) 2014(August): 23-37. (CSSCI)
- Tang, G. and Lee, F. L. F. (2014), “Hong Kong Journalists’ Attitude toward Social Protests: A Belief System Perspective.” Media Asia 41(1): 55-70.
- Tang, G. and Lee, F. L. F. (2013), “Facebook Use and Political Participation: The Impact of Exposure to Shared Political Information, Connections with Public Political Actors, and Network Structural Heterogeneity.” Social Science Computer Review 31(6): 763-773. (SSCI)
- Lee, F. L. F. and Tang, G. (2013), “Social Transformation, Media Interactions, and the Historical Development of Audience Participation Radio Talk Shows in Hong Kong.” (社會變遷、媒體互動，和電台聽眾參與節目在香港的演變) Communication & Society (傳播與社會學刊) 24: 23-60. (TSSCI)
Selected Book Chapters
- Lee, F. L. F. and Tang, G. (Forthcoming), “Perceived Outcomes and Willingness to Retreat among the Umbrella Movement Participants.” In Ngok Ma, Edmund Cheng, and Samson Yuen (eds.), Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement: New Boundary of Resistance in a Hybrid Regime. University of Amsterdam Press.
- Tang, G. (2018), “Social Media and Social Mobilization.” In Tai-lok Lui, Stephen W. K. Chiu and Ray Yep (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Hong Kong, pp. 185-198. London: Routledge.
- Tang, G. (2018), “Who can Mobilize for a Protest? Television and New Media.” (誰動員群眾？電視機與新媒體) In Edmund Cheng and Samson Yuen (eds.), An Epoch of Social Movements: The Trajectory of Contentious Politics in Hong Kong (社運年代：香港政治抗爭的軌跡), pp. 177-188. Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press.
- Fung, A. Y. H. and Tang, G. (2017), “Youth and Social Change in the Post-1997 Hong Kong.” (九七後香港青年與社會變遷) In Stephen W. K. Chiu & Fanny M. C. Cheung (eds.), The 20th Year of the HKSAR (香港特區二十年), pp. 487-499. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies.
- Lee, F. L. F. and Tang, G. (2014), “Economic Development, Political Change, and Post-material Turn of Hong Kong Youth.” (經濟發展，政治轉變，和香港青年人的後物質轉向) In S. K. Cheung, K. C. Leung and K. M. Chan (eds.), Hong Kong, City, Imagination (香港．城市．想像), pp. 243-252. Hong Kong: Infolink Publishing Ltd.
- Tang, G. and Shen, S. (2013), “Media and the Internet.” In Chris Ogden (ed.), Routledge Handbook of China’s Governance and Domestic Politics, pp. 243-252. New York: Routledge.
- Ma, K. W., Ng, C. H. and Tang, G. (2013), “The Coming of the Era of Tribalization for Hong Kong Popular Culture.” (迎接香港普及文化的部落時代) In S. K. Cheung, K. C. Leung and K. M. Chan (eds.), Hong Kong, Discourse, Media (香港．論述．傳媒), pp. 39-56. Hong Kong: Oxford University Press.
- Tang, G. (2018), “The Impact of Social Media Campaign on Electoral Performance.” Symposium on Digital Research into Media and Politics, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, August 24.
- Tang, G. and Fung, A. Y. H. (2017), “Perception of China and ‘China Experience’ of Hong Kong’s Youths.” International Research Symposium on Public Management in Asia, The Education University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, November 24-25.
- Tang, G. and Lee, F. L. F. (2017), “Predicting Electoral Performance by Candidates’ Facebook Fan Page: Evidence from Hong Kong Legislative Council Election 2016.” International Communication Association 67th Annual Conference, San Diego, USA, May 25-29.
- Tang, G. (2017), “Discursive Appropriation of Political Accountability: The Establishment and Transformation of Political Appointment System of HKSAR.” Political Studies Association 67th Annual International Conference, Glasgow, UK, April 10-12.
- Tang, G., Yuen, R. H. Y. and Chan, C. K. (2016), “Social Innovation in the District Council.” The 4th International Conference on Social Policy and Governance Innovation, The Education University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, November 24-25.
- Tang, G. and Lee, F. L. F. (2014), “Conservative Bias of Financial Journalism.” Business Journalism Education & Corporate Communication Development Conference, Hang Seng Management College, Hong Kong, November 8.
- Tang, G. and Lee, F. L. F. Lee (2013), “Facebook Use and Political Participation: The Impact of Exposure to Shared Political Information, Connections with Opinion Leaders, and Network Heterogeneity.” Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Annual Conference, Washington DC, USA, August 8-12.
- GEN1000 Perspectives on General Education