Dr CHAN Hin Yeung Rami
Dr. Rami Chan is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Social Science and is concurrently the Director of the Centre for Asian Languages and Cultures (CALC) at The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong (HSUHK). Prior to joining the Department in 2013, he pursued his PhD in Political Science at the Lingnan University, Hong Kong.
His research interest is mainly on the politics of crisis management with special focus on the state-society interactions and the crisis-induced policymaking. He also received funding from public and private sectors for projects related to policy capacity, migration politics and urban development such as conducting public policy research on expatiates’ and overseas returnees’ migration plans under the recent social incidents in Hong Kong and historical research on the Tate’s Cairn Tunnel and the Siu Lek Yuen neighborhood.
Rami served the Council of Hong Kong Political Science Association (2016-20) in which he was also the coordinator for the HKPSA Annual Conference held at HSMC (now HSUHK) in October 2017. At the AGM held in November 2018, he was being elected as the Vice-President of HKPSA for a two-year term (2018-20).
The Politics of Crisis Management; Crisis Communication; Crisis-induced Migration and Politics; Politics and Public Policy in Hong Kong
Selected Journal Articles
- Chan, Jason K. H. and Chan, Rami H. Y.* (2020). Learn to Disobey: Evolution of “Civil Disobedience” and the Transforming Sociopolitical Context of Hong Kong. Asian Politics and Policy, Article 12556. https://doi.org/10.1111/aspp.12556 (ESCI)
- Liu, Yihong and Chan, Rami H. Y.* (2018). The Framework of Crisis-Induced Agenda Setting in China. Asia and the Pacific Policy Studies, 5(1), 18-33. https://doi.org/10.1002/app5.220 (SSCI)
- Chan, Rami H. Y.* (2016). How Crisis Matters: The Crisis Provoking Politics and State-Society Interaction in Post-1997 Hong Kong. China: An International Journal, 14(4), 22-45. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/640269 (SSCI)
- Chan, Rami H. Y.* (2013). Crisis Politics in Authoritarian Regimes: How Crises Catalyse Changes under the State-Society Interactive Framework. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, 21(4), 200-210. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-5973.12024 (SSCI)
Books and Monographs
- Chan, Rami H. Y. and Ngan, Lucille L. S. (2020). Expatriates and Overseas Returnees’ Perceptions and Reactions towards Recent Social Incidents in Hong Kong and Their Migratory Plans. Research Report prepared for Public Policy Research (PPR) Funding Scheme (Special Round), Policy Innovation and Co-ordination Office, The Government of the Hong Kong SAR.
- Chan, Rami H. Y. (2019, Oct. 3-5). Did Macau Government Learn a Lesson? The Crisis Management of Typhoon Hato and Typhoon Mangkhut. Paper presented at 6th International Crisis Communication Conference, Leeds, U. K.
- Chan, Rami H. Y. (2019, Jun. 26-28). Crisis-Induced Policymaking in China: Ambiguity, Public Policy and Crisis Management. Paper presented at 4th International Conference on Public Policy, Montreal, Canada.
- Chan, Rami H. Y. (2018, Jul. 21-15). Crisis Communication and Politics in China. Paper presented at the 25th IPSA World Congress of Political Science, Brisbane, Australia.
- Chan, Rami H. Y. (2016, Sep. 26-28). Interpreting Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement: Pro-Government Perspectives. Paper presented at Australian Political Studies Association Conference, Sydney, Australia.
- Chan, Rami H. Y. (2016, Apr. 7-10). Has the Media Been Out of Focus?: An Alternative Perspective on the Anti-High Speed Railway Movement in Hong Kong. Paper presented at The 74th Annual Midwest Political Science Association Conference, Chicago, USA.
- Chan, Rami H. Y. (2014, Dec. 1-3). Crisis Politics of the SARS Epidemic: A Comparative Study of Mainland China, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Paper presented at New Zealand Political Studies Association Conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Chan, Rami H. Y. (2014, Apr. 9-11). The Three-Tier Regulation on Private High Education Sector: Experiences in Hong Kong. Paper presented at International Research Society for Public Management Conference, Ottawa, Canada.
- Chan, Rami H. Y. (2012, Sep. 24-26). The Relationship between Governance Crisis and Public Policy: Beyond the Policy Window, Refereed proceeding of Australian Political Studies Association Conference, Hobart, Australia.
- Apr 2020 – Oct 2020. Co-Investigator. Policy Capacity for Crisis Management in Hong Kong. Public Policy Research (PPR) Funding Scheme (Special Round) (SR2020.A7.011), Policy Innovation and Co-ordination Office, The Government of the Hong Kong SAR. Award: HKD$494,000.
- Mar 2020 – Sep 2020. Principal-Investigator. Expatriates and Overseas Returnees’ Perceptions and Reactions towards Recent Social Incidents in Hong Kong and Their Migratory Plans. Public Policy Research (PPR) Funding Scheme (Special Round) (SR2020.B12.005), Policy Innovation and Co-ordination Office, The Government of the Hong Kong SAR. Award: HKD$234,000.
- Jan 2020 – Dec 2022. Project Coordinator. Establishing the Centre for Asian Languages and Cultures (CALC) at HSUHK. Quality Enhancement Support Scheme (05/QESS/2019), Self-financing Post-secondary Education Fund, Education Bureau, The Government of the Hong Kong SAR. Award: HKD$1,890,000.
- Jul 2017 – Jul 2018. Principal-Investigator. History of Tate’s Cairn Tunnel Research Project” funded by Tate’s Cairn Tunnel Co. Ltd. Award: HKD $300,000.
- 2010 – 2013. Full Postgraduate Studentship (PhD). Lingnan University, Hong Kong.
- ASI2001 International Relations in Asia
- ASI4001 Disaster and Crisis Management in Asia
- GEN1000 Perspectives on General Education
- GEN1002 Public Policy and Administration in Hong Kong
- GEN2002 Global Politics